Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Dawn Soap to Remove Buildup

I have been reading on a Facebook loc discussion board that some people swear by Dawn Soap to remove build up. At first I was like, why would you use dishwashing soap when there are better products out there to remove build up from locs? But then I came to realize that actually, the idea of using dawn to remove buildup in locs makes sense. After all, if Dawn is able to remove oil from wildlife animals, then surely it can remove build up from locs. I don't have build up issues, but I really am curious to try this! There are times when I feel like my hair isn't as clean as it should be, like even after all that rinsing and weekly shampooing I still get a sense that it just isn't clean enough (I don't experience this a lot, but once in awhile). The only downside I hear is that using Dawn makes your locs feel a bit crunchy afterwards, so moisturizing it afterwards is a must. Not sure if I would incorporate Dawn into my regime, but I don't see the harm in experimenting or trying it at least once. I will write a little review on it as soon as I get my hands on a bottle!

4 comments:

  1. I actually started my locking journey and will use Dawn at some point. Members of nappturality swear by it too :)
    then they use a hot oil treatment afterwards

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amina! Sounds like a good idea, if Dawn works i will use it along with my hot olive oil treatment day lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl, if you ain't got to use that stuff, don't use it. While it does remove the build-up, it leaves the hair reallllly dry. And then when you use oil to replenish, you risk getting build-up all over again. Ha!! I used to have BAD build-up but a trip to the loctician with her water blaster thingy really got rid of that. Thank goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah you are probably right B, i was actually reconsidering actually using it or not. I never had build up issues (so far) and since I'm freeforming and using little to no product in my hair other than oil and aloe vera gel it doesn't seem necessary, and with trying to replenish it after using it, it just seems more work than I really need or want! lol. Well, at least it is something I can try if I ever do have build up issues, until then I'm gonna pass because I really don't think it is necessary at the moment.

    ReplyDelete