Monday, April 12, 2010

I Cherish My Thicker Locs!

If there's one thing I'm noticing about my locs lately after having combined so many of them, is that my hair feels lighter even when I wash it. I'm not sure if the thickness has anything to do with that, but I sure do feel the difference from when I had thinner locs to my thick locs now. Since having these thicker locs, I also feel just more relaxed about the locking process, and I'm really realizing once and for all that the "semi-freeforming" route is better for me. I'm noticing that my hair IS locking; retwisting it every 2-3 weeks doesn't really "help" it in any way other than making the roots neater and tidier. I feel like my hair has been locking faster lately from the constant rinses/washes than when I made myself wait for 2 weeks just to wash or wet it. I'm OKAY with not having neat and tidy roots or scalp showing; the semi-freeforming way is to me a reflection of my lifestyle: I'm pretty simple and low maintenance. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the look of manicured locks on others, and more power to those who can keep up with a 2-3 week schedule, but it just isn't my thang, and I don't feel like my hair really works that way. A part of me feels silly for having expected myself to keep up with the every 2-3 week schedule because that just isn't me. It is not so much that I'm too lazy to keep up with it, but my aesthetic with locs isn't really about having them neat and tidy at all times. I felt like retwisting every 2-3 weeks was the only way to make your hair lock and was something that had to be done to have "pretty" locs, but now I realize that my hair at least is at its best when its constantly wet and moisturized, and I'm seeing that semi-freeformed/freeformed locs are just as beautiful as manicured locs too. I wouldn't consider my locs "wild" because I wear a silk scarf often which tones down the "afro-locs" look a lot (unless I shake and go lol), so maybe that's why I'm okay with not having my hair retwisted so often anymore. I'm glad that I'm getting back to the way I used to manage my hair. I missed the freedom of rinsing and washing my hair whenever I want without worrying about something coming undone. I'm thinking that the only time I will retwist/palmroll my hair is when the new growth becomes a bit too unbearable or too wild or too much like an afro for me to bear. I can't wait to see how long I can go without palmrolling; I can see myself going well over 3 months, maybe even longer. I see this as a test to see just how long and how manageable my hair can be without a retwist for however so months. Until then though, I'm letting my locs be with the occasional wrapping the loose hair around the base of the loc. I'm hoping that it makes my hair look more beautiful and thicker with time. We'll see! :)

9 comments:

  1. I absolutely love your blog! I started my loc journey in Feb and I am loving it. There are so many blogs that have been so helpful yours included! Just wanted to say thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw why thank you! I'm glad that my blog is helpful. I'm also happy to know that you are loving the locking journey :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. girl, reading this post made me miss my freeform locs!! I was locking last spring but I missed my loose hair so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. aww! how long did you have your freeform locs? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. about 4 months
    here's a pic
    http://www.mwatum.com/2009/03/hair-update.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. My locs are about 12-14 inches long (on average) and are coming undone close to the middle and toward the end of the loc, then that area thins out and I'm having to cut off 4-6 inch pieces at a time. Do you have any idea what could be causing this? Mine are washed and palmrolled once a month.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Anonymous- Here's what you can do, braid from the middle to the ends together and either tie a rubber band at the tip or sew them together to ensure that they will stay together. It has worked like a charm for me. It sounds like your locs are just unraveling and maybe thinning out a little, it is fixable, try those tips I mentioned and see if that helps. If you need more details or have any other questions just ask. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for your quick response. But from the root to about mid-way, the loc is fine. Then a weak spot opens up further down the loc and after that weak spot, the last 4-5 inches is locked hair. My loctician says they're older pieces that are breaking off, but I beg to differ. It's happening to more locs than I like to think about. I just cut them because I couldn't stand looking at the "weak link" on several of my locs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah I see, sometimes that happens with locks, I've known other people who have had that problem and they too just cut off the weak link. Hope it helped!

    ReplyDelete