Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The Freeforming Process (so far)





Sorry I've been missing in action for a bit y'all! With graduation coming my way and job hunting and all I've been quite busy, which is why I haven't been really focused on writing about my hair (but naturally i'm always reading/looking at other loc updates/journals/fotki/youtube videos of other loc wearers...it's one of my hobbies lol). Anyway, the pics are basically what my hair is up to so far. Here are the things I'm noticing:

* It is getting really thick and juicy (esp. the ones in the back), condensing a whole lot more, and to my surprise the ends are sealing quite nicely and I have even taken out some of the rubberbands on some of them that don't need their help anymore. I rinse and spritz on a daily basis, wash once a week, deep condition once or twice a month, and use an ACV rinse to clarify. Same as usual. I have been leaving these locs alone for the most part, and I'm 100% more patient with them now than I was awhile ago, and just embracing the process. No stress no mess! I still separate and wrap the loose hairs around the loc, and it seems like my locs are doing very well at not creeping together.

*I bought some peppermint essential oil, and I just LOVE it, it gives me a boost of energy and makes my hair and my skin feel so fresh. Love this oil, so refreshing in general! I definitely want to invest in essential oils, I'm really starting to feel the wonderful effects of them mentally and emotionally, it just perks me up. I'm also sensing that my scalp is loving essential oils, which therefore promotes growth.

* I've recently been taking B-complex vitamins, and I love them! In case I haven't mentioned it, I also take Biotin and a multivitamin. Overall I do see a change in the overall feel and texture of my hair, and yes, my hair is growing (sometime in July I will try and take a really in depth texture shot of my new growth, assuming that I will still be freeforming by then).

*As for growth, not sure if I'm seeing it, but I can definitely tell that with each rinse and wash it seems to be getting my locs to hang more. I'm starting to feel a tad bit of "hang time" going on. My locs bounce in the wind when I'm outside, and I'm starting to deal with having long locs in front of my face. Takes getting used to, but I try not to think about it much! I will also try and take comparison shots by July as well.

All in all, I love freeforming. I think it has been approximately 6-9 weeks since my last retwist. Haven't really been keeping track, but it's just a guess. This has been the longest I have gone without retwisting. I'm loving the frizz and the fuzz, and I really don't think it looks all that bad, it may not be a preference for everyone but I think on me it looks swell. By July 21 (my 18-month update) I will give more thorough detail with pictures and all.

7 comments:

  1. I loooove your locs!
    beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome that you see a difference due to the vitamins! I take about 4 vitamins (mainly as a supplement since I don't eat much meat) and haven't noticed added growth.

    Girl yessss, peppermint EO is the best! I'm visiting my Mom for the weekend and I'm going to raid her EO closet like mad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! And congrats on graduating! Welcome to the real world!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Amina!

    @B- mostly I'm just noticing more thickness at the roots, not sure if it's due to just natural hair growth going on or if some of the vitamins are encouraging it, but either way I feel like the vitamins are giving both my hair and my body some nourishment! Ooh, I'd be raiding my mom's EO closet too if she collected them! Maybe you should blog about the types of essential oils you "borrowed" from mom ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, freeforming definitely takes some of the drama out of dreading!

    I'm glad you're enjoying the new process...your hair looks great. I've heard so many good things about peppermint oil, I may have to give it a try.

    Do you mix it with anything or just use it alone?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You always have to mix any essential oil with something, I mix it with my olive oil/coconut oil blend. Sometimes I might put a couple of drops in my shampoo but for the most part I only put it in my oil blend and use that oil blend in my daily spritz, for my face, and so on. Peppermint oil is definitely worth trying!

    ReplyDelete