Tuesday, April 20, 2010

My Homemade Products


I don't think I have ever really talked about the type of products I use on my hair, other than posting it on the sidebar. Anyhoo, these five products are the only things I use in my hair.

My Shampoo: In that bottle I mix half of it with Dr. Bronner's castille soap, a little bit of my oil blend mix, and dilute with water. Sometimes I add some vegetable glycerin into it, when it is available. Believe it or not that little bottle lasts for a month (even with my weekly shampooing!).

My Oil/Water Spritz: In that spray bottle I mix mostly water and my oil blend, just like the shampoo I add a little bit of glycerin once in awhile. I use this every day quite frequently just whenever I feel like my hair gets dry (which it does a lot). I go through that spritz bottle rather quickly but it doesn't take much to refill it again ;).

Oil Blend: In that applicator I fill it with extra virgin olive oil and 10+ drops of essential oil (right now it's rosemary). Sometimes I mix coconut oil and grapeseed oil into the applicator as well, when available (money is tight right now so for now it is just olive oil lol).

Herb-infused Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse: I use this after every wash. To make this, I get sprigs of rosemary and/or lavender leaves (or whatever herb I have available, I get them from a friend of mine who grows herbs), boil some apple cider vinegar, and then pour that hot vinegar over those herbs in that applicator. I let it chill in the fridge for a couple of weeks, then I use straight away! The herbs not only give my hair a boost, but is also somewhat gets rid of that over-powering vinegar smell.

And last but not least, in that little jar is my Loc Gel. All it is is aloe vera gel (J/A/S/O/N brand) and a couple of drops of my oil blend. I used to add honey for extra hold but then just chucked that out (nothing was particularly wrong with the honey, I just got tired of using it for some reason lol). Now that I'm freeforming I don't plan on using this loc gel for a long time. Perhaps sometime after my 3-month freeforming challenge, or sometime after the 6-month, whichever comes first. I love it. It gives my hair a nice hold, long enough to last for 2 weeks, and doesn't leave build up, plus the added essential oil gives it a nice scent.

That's it! I'm that simple with my hair. I don't recall a time where I really became a "product junkie." I have tried a couple of products here and there like shea butter (loved it on my skin, but NOT in my hair) and some other product I can't remember, but I've always been more keen on making my own products and have done so since day 1 of being natural. Saves a lot of money, which is always a plus! :)

5 comments:

  1. Great post! I absolutely luv using infused ACV as well. I need ot go backto regular castile soap as well. I'm on a mission to reduce teh amount of money I use on products right now and I'm sure that these expensive products really aren't necessary. I never used them as a child so why now. Do you ever infuse you castile soap?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm come to think of it, once in awhile I do infuse olive oil with herbs, and then pour that into the castille soap. :) I'm infusing a batch of lavender + olive oil right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, my sista....you have certainly inspired me. To be a hair blogger, I can't believe I don't do jack with my hair. I'm ashamed. LOL! This weekend I am going to try and do an herbal rinse. I haven't done an ACV rinse in awhile. How well do those herbs get rid of the smell? Can't wait to try that!

    I hereby adopt you as another hair twin of mine. We seem to have similar experiences (anti-latching and shea butter on the locs and currently combining). And I'm going to see if I can freeform for at least a month. Which is a big deal for me. Thanks for being such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay B, I am SO honored! You have been an inspiration to me since I found your blog! Thank you! hehe. Can't wait to see the results you get out of freeforming!

    The herbs in the ACV makes it smell more pleasant than when it is just plain. Plus it seems like the herbs help with not making your hair smell like straight up vinegar (or as my friend would say, "a salad head" lol).

    ReplyDelete