Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Experimenting...

I think I am re-thinking how I maintain my locks. Truthfully, I'm just not big on retwisting my hair so much down to the root that my scalp is showing. I'm starting to get kind of tired of it. I think I'm going to experiment with the "hair wrapping technique" where you just grab the loose hairs and wrap them around the loc without actually twisting the loc itself. It gives the loc the cylyndrical look without over manipulating the root, which is usually the case when you palmroll or latchhook. I was inspired by this method from the lady behind holisticlocs.com, who kept an old journal to chronicle her loc journey in such detail (check it out if you haven't already: http://members.multimania.co.uk/dreadconnection/index.html). I really like her attitude towards locking, and her philosophy and method behind maintaining them (simplicity/low-manipulating/no twisting). I'm not sure if I'm ready to go down the freeforming route as she is nowadays, but the "hair wrapping technique" is a much easier, quicker, and healthier way to maintain locs without manipulating the root. I will try out this technique from now 'till the end of summer. With the weather getting hotter, I can't hold out and wait to rinse my hair or wash it, during the warmer months I practically rinse my hair every day and wash every 3 days or so. That's just the way I've always been even before I locked my hair, I just LOVE getting my hair wet. I think I'm starting to realize that my hair is at its healthiest and most beautiful when it isn't manipulated. That's not to say that I'm not going to keep my hair neat and pretty, but I feel like nowadays I want to just RELAX and not worry so much about my locs at this point. Nothing about my regime is going to change. I'm going to do the "loose hair wrapping" technique every 3 weeks, wash my hair once every 1-2 weeks, rinse every other day (if not every day), and use the same products. My goal is just to have a thick and healthy set of locs. Maybe once in awhile for a special occasion I will palmroll, but for now I just want to experiment with the hair wrapping technique. I figure that at this point in my locking journey, it is okay to experiment; experimenting and re-thinking the way you maintain your locs is part of the journey, and it's also fun! The worst that can happen is that it doesn't work for me and I just get back to the palmrolling again. That's all. I'll keep y'all updated!

2 comments:

  1. I would like to know how that works out for you. I wouldn't think there would be a lot of loose hair after 3 weeks. Let me know if you like it.

    BTW, I mentioned you in my latest post. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can already tell that I won't have a lot of loose hair to work with, which is fine, that is less work for me! It is mostly the front and some locs in the back that need some work but other than that it is all good :)Aww, thank you Mrs. Honey!!! You have been supporting me since I started my blog, I REALLY appreciate it! :)

    ReplyDelete