Thursday, April 22, 2010

Question of the Day

I dunno why but today I was thinking to myself how long I would keep this set of locs. I had a friend of mine ask me months ago how long I was going to grow them out and when I would get to the point of deciding to cut them off. I didn't really give her much of an answer just because I'm not the type to really think that far ahead, especially not spur of the moment, but she really did get me thinking, how long should I keep this set of locs? When is long too long?

Truthfully, I don't see myself having this set of locs forever. I can definitely see myself starting over 9 or 10 years from now and starting another set, with thicker double strand twists instead of the skinny ones I had in the beginning. I even imagined a date to have a new set re-installed, a day before my 30th birthday or at the day of my birthday. BUT on the other hand...I can see myself wearing these locs well over 10 years. Even though I have struggled with the size of them throughout my journey, they are now the size and thickness that I desired, so in a way I feel like, why ever start over only to basically have similar looking locs as I did my first set? A naive part of me thinks, well, if I start a second set with much thicker double strand twists, then I won't deal with thinning issues or needing to combine, it will be SMOOTH sailing and just turn into perfect locs! Even though more than likely I wouldn't need to combine or worry about thin roots, I really doubt that if I were to start over it would make the journey easier. If anything I would just be more knowledgeable about the process and knowing exactly what to expect. So...really, if I do ever decide to start over, for one, I would just chop them off instead of picking them out (I know that I just don't have the patience for that!!), and most importantly, I would start over if I am at the point of my life where I'm either really tired of this set of locs or where I just want to start fresh. For certain though, I know that I am going to be locked for life, locs are my thing and I don't see myself wearing any other natural style for years at a time other than locs. For now, I'm just riding with this set. It isn't perfect, but who really has a perfect set of locs? Even the most perfect-looking ones has its imperfections.

Sorry for the long rant lol, but my question (or questions lol) of the day is, how long are you planning to grow out your locs? would you ever start a second set in the future (or have you thought about it)?

5 comments:

  1. I used to get that question all the time and I never seemed to have an answer. As you know, I always thought I would have this set forever. Just recently have I thought about another set. I plan to grow this set til they cover my breasts. Anything longer than that would be a chore to style I would think. I will definitely start over as I know I will be locked forever too. I might sport an afro for a few months in between sets but that's about it. Locs rule forever!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah if I were to start over I would just get back to wearing comb coils and other protective styles for a year, and then get back to locking again with double strand twists. I thought of the idea of just starting a new set right away but I think that would be a bit too soon; it is not so much that I'd want to grow my hair out but just to try new things with my hair and enjoy the loose texture before getting back to locking again. If I were to re-do a new set as soon as I chop them off then I would feel as if there was no point to chopping it off in the first place if I was only going to start over the next day (does that make sense? lol). For now I can see myself doing it for 10 years, I have no idea how long my hair would be by then but I can't wait to see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes that does make sense, and I agree. I think 10 years is a good point. That's another 3 yrs for me so I figure my hair will be the length I'm trying to get to by then. I can tell it's getting longer so I can't wait to see where it will be in 3 yrs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get this question a lot too and I just don't know. I change my mind with the drop of a dime so I have no idea. I do feel like this set of locs have been the "trial run" locs. I've been through soooo much with these babies. I made a lot of mistakes so I know that my next set will be healthier and will probably make me happier. Especially now that I know what size I REALLY prefer. I don't really see myself with locs when I'm older though. I think I'll be rocking a TWA then. We shall seee..... ;) I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking about a future set. HA!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aaah. This question. I was never a loose nappy, I started locking about 2 weeks after my BC. I see all the pictures online of drop dead beautiful afros and would like to experience that too. So I'm not sure. Maybe I'll cut them in my 30s and start locking again in my 50s. A lot of stuff factors in so I guess time will tell :-)

    ReplyDelete