Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Lock Evolution




I'm very surprised at just how quick my locs are evolving day by day. The combined ones are doing surprisingly well, with just one or two of them coming undone (even with the help of a rubberband). They are a work in progress, and as much as I wish they can just speed up and look like one mature lock, I'm really trying to embrace them as they are. Each loc on my head seems to have a kind of personality to them, some have curly q's that just haven't disappeared, some are nice and fat, but somehow still have a nice curl to them, and some are just so nice and smooth and slim. Most of them are getting harder and seem to be progressing into maturity slowly but surely. I'm not really seeing a lot of length though, but like I keep saying to myself I really don't care about that, and at the moment I like the length of my locs as are. I know a lot of loc wearers who have been wearing them for YEARS say to embrace each stage because one day you will look back and miss it. This stage of my locs I'm finding it a very interesting one, it's like watching them grow up and changing, and it is quite exciting. I love how some of them are wonky in a way, but I think it gives them character. Some have gaps because they aren't 100% married yet, but I'm okay with that, with time all the fuzz and frizz will cover it up anyway. I tried to take pictures of some of my locs that have character, but my camera phone isn't THAT great, so it was a total fail lol. I also feel like I'm finally settled into a routine that does work for me. I haven't really given my locs the "loose hair wrapping method" treatment yet, just because I had company over on the day I planned on doing it plus the rest of this week has been busy, but I'm looking forward to doing it. The pic was taken after I wrapped some loose hair around two of the locs on front, not sure if you can tell. I don't think the picture does it justice, but I find it interesting how wrapping the loose hair gives it that cylindrical look without needing to twist the loc, and does it without exposing any scalp, which I LOVE (for some reason I really don't like exposing my scalp that much...makes it itchy for me). Sometime on Sunday or so I will publish a post on the "hair-wrapping method" and show the results of that. Thanks again to all those who are following my blog and sending comments!

2 comments:

  1. Man, I love your hair!! I can tell how much it has grown. The no scalp look fits you because your locs are so thick. I don't think the scalpy look is right for thick locs like yours IMO. I can't wait til you post on the hair wrapping method!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Mrs. Honey! I dunno why but I never really liked the scalp look that much even when my locks were smaller, and I agree I think thicker locs can kinda get away with not showing their scalp/retwisting often. I should post the hair wrapping method topic by Sunday or Monday :)

    ReplyDelete