Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Keeping An Open Mind



Ok, so I've decided that for now I'm going to freeform, meaning that I am just going to rinse every day or every other day, wash often, spritz daily, seperate my roots, and once in awhile wrap loose hairs around each loc with a little bit of loc gel when necessary. I'm going to challenge myself to not palmroll my hair 'till July (which is 3 months from now, roughly). If by July I still can handle it, I will go for another 3 months. I'm just really curious to try out this method since so far it is the only method that I haven't really tried yet. I have palmrolled, of course, which I liked. I interlatched before; HATED IT and NEVER doing it again. Freeforming, or whatever you want to call it, is the only method that I haven't done all the way. I feel like if I don't see for myself if the freeforming method is right for me, then I will just never know, and there's no sense in not trying something once before making a definite decision to NOT do it. I'm excited to see how my hair will respond to it. Naturally I will keep y'all updated frequently with pictures and all! I hope to eventually try out hair styles, but my hair is just not that long enough yet to really style, plus it is kind of hard to style when I'm constantly worried about my combined locs coming undone. So, I have a bit to go before I can really start having fun with my locs like everyone else is doing lol. Oh...my locs are almost at the 15-month mark. Wow!

*The pics were taken after giving my locs a good rinse. At this point I haven't retwisted in like 6 weeks. The headband is not actually a headband; it is just a silk tie. They're pretty neat; it is like wearing a silk scarf but just having it only cover your hairline, which is pretty nice to have when I don't feel like having hair in my face or covering my entire head lol*

9 comments:

  1. You go, sis!!! I sooooo want to freeform one day but (dare, I say it) I want the locs to be slightly manicured for work and professional events. When you mean rinse, what do you do? I don't a thing to my hair at all. No oil or anything. I need to step my game up stat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe nothin' wrong with that B! I think that is why most of us maintain our locs a lot, naturally some just love the look but I think many do it mostly for professional reasons. With the rinsing, when I have free time I just jump into the shower and rinse my hair with water. Once a week after a shampoo I use an apple cider vinegar rinse, which I really like. Once in awhile i put oil on my scalp but not so much during the warmer months as I do in the colder months; at this time of year I just spritz my hair with my water and oil mixture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! I am SO jealous!! Your hair is so thick and lucious!
    I think freeforming will work well for you because your locs are so thick. It just fits. I don't think it would work with the size of my locs, cuz they're so much smaller than yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Mrs. Honey! I'm hoping freeforming fits well, I have a feeling it will. You make an interesting point, sometimes i wonder if the size of locs determines how well it will look in a freeform state.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love ur hair! I am like B....I don't do anything either. What is it that you didn't like about interlocking?

    ReplyDelete
  6. @drrph- EVERYTHING! lol. I didn't like the method, how time-consuming it was, and how it totally changes the entire look and thickness of my locs; it makes them look more box-like than cylindrical, not to mention that it thinned out the root in such an unflattering way. I just didn't like it at all :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. they are beautiful!!!!
    looove them!! I am also rinsing daily

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on your decision to freeform! I've been a dread for 2.5 yrs and have freeformed from the beginning. I don't think the size matters, though...you can use this method on any size dreads. Mine are much smaller than yours and it works for me. I've even seen people go from Sisterlocks to freeforming.

    Good luck on this new phase...can't wait yo see how they develop ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i retwist every 3 months when it starts to look rough i just wet my hair and roll it up in rods, flexi rods, or rollers. I feel this way i will not stress out my roots by not retwisting so often.

    ReplyDelete