Monday, March 22, 2010

Starting Off Locs: So much Variety!

I'm not shy to admit this, but every day i read about dreads, go on youtube, read people's loc blogs, go on fotki, and countless other sites, and I'm still learning something new. I'm starting to gain more insight into just how many ways somebody can start off locs. At the moment I'm admiring the backcombing method. I'm not sure if that method would have worked for me, but I like how it makes your hair look matted and dread-like from the start. Just for fun and curiosity, I backcombed my best friend's hair (he's white) just to see how it is done (sadly, no, he doesn't want to loc his hair lol, maybe one day i will make him), and I liked the outcome. I doubt I would try this method if I were to start over 10 years from now...I just don't think it would look great on me, but I sure do like it on other people! I also wonder if I were to start over, if I would install them myself. It's just a thought. I could see it happening. I'm just daydreaming about "what if..." possibilities (i do that a lot, in general lol). Could any of you imagine alternative ways to start off your locs (ex: comb coils, double strand twists, backcombing, sisterlocs, etc.)? Would you or could you ever install them yourself without the help of a loctitian or a friend? Oh, today is officially me being 14 months locked! Jeez...time flies for real!

4 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of this backcoming method. Hmm, I'll have to look into that. I started with comb coils and I think I'll stick with that the next go round. My hair loc'd up pretty quickly with that method. I would go a little thicker but I'd be going to a loctician for initial installation---and probably on until the 6th month or so. Even though I've learned a lot with this set, I still don't feel comfortable enough handling baby locs in their fragile stages.

    Happy 14 Months!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a method that mostly caucasian hair types do because their hair doesn't loc as easily as ours. More than likely if I were to start over I would probably go for the double strand twists again (but thicker); I felt like my hair locked and stayed together more nicely than when I had comb coils. I tried to loc my hair with comb coils but it was just a mess, like the coils just kept unraveling and I ended up with an afro again without even trying lol. And I would probably go to a loctitian also, it would be much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl, you changed your web address and I couldn't find you!!! I was so upset!!!

    Anyway, if I start over (and I've been seriously thinking about it lately), I think I would try the two strand twists and probably a little thicker. I started with comb coils and I didn't have any problem that way. Recently, I've been thinking about combing my locs out but nothing definite right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. aww hehe, yeah I decided to change the weblink to match my blog name. What I find funny though, honestly, is that it seems like no matter what method you choose, the outcome of locs basically looks the same. I think the point of choosing a certain method is based on your hair type and how well it can lock with a certain method. I don't regret starting off with double strand twists, I found it much easier and more manageable (plus when I first washed it there was no unraveling), so I didn't really have any issues during the really early stages. Well, when and if you start another set definitely let us know! Even though a part of me is sad when somebody cuts or picks out their locs, it is such a thrill to see them start a whole new set and a whole other journey. :)

    ReplyDelete