Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Rubber Bands

So lately I've been tying black snag-free rubber bands around the ends of some of my locs that just keep on unraveling again and again and again (basically the combined ones). A part of me wishes I could have done this sooner. I know that using rubberbands for some people is "tabboo" because it could damage your hair, but my theory is, as with anything you use or put in your hair, is knowing how to do it properly and in moderation. The rubber bands aren't tied too tight, they are on tight enough to stay but loose enough to fall off or pop off on their own. I'm thinking of keeping them in for at least 2 months, or until they just fall off and I notice that the particular loc(s) isn't unraveling anymore. I know some people prefer to use a bead or a string to help with combining locs to dread faster, but honestly, I just want to use something quick and simple. Although a bead would be prettier, it would be a pain in the ass to put them on, and I don't have the patience to sew my locs together. So far it is working for me. Some have popped off, and my loc looks just fine. By summer I hope to not have them in anymore just because I'd worry about them melting or something lol. Until then, I'm gonna keep these little guys in for 2 months. Can't wait, because i'm tired of worrying about some of these combined locs from unraveling (i haven't counted precisely, but overall i have at least 10 locs that have been tied by a rubber band). Has anybody else ever used this technique to help with the pesky locs that need some extra help?

3 comments:

  1. Yes I've done that just the other day. I've also sewn a few locs together but like you said, it's time consuming. Most of my combined locs I just leave alone so they usually form two headed dragons (I usually don't twist them all the way down). It's just a personal perference. Do what you want; it's your hair. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I left the majority of my combined locs alone as well, I didn't rubber band all of them but just the ones that are just really stubborn and irritating lol. I'm sure i have a two headed dragon or two hehe, and you are right it is a personal preference. I just find it annoying how some people are so against using rubber bands because they feel that it damages the hair and that it has the potential to melt in your hair, but I believe that when used carefully it isn't that bad, it's just easier! Like you said, it's your hair ;) so I do what i want! hehe. Nice to know that somebody else uses this rubber band method, it sure is helping a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just starting using little black rubber bands on my locs. I use them on stray hairs that i cant seem to get them meshed into a loc. As soon as I see they are starting to mesh i remove the rubber band and viola!!It works really well if its not too tight.

    ReplyDelete