Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Oops I Did It Again...




Not too long ago I said that my combining days are over. Well, today I decided to marry a couple more of my locs...so I came from 112 to now 109. I have always been confident about combining and have never regretted or look back. The reason why I combine in the first place is not so much because I'm aiming for a thicker loc, but because I worry that the base is thinning and needs some help. I'd much rather combine a loc and go through the irritating process of having to re-tie them when they unravel after a wash than having to deal with a loc that is thinning at the root. As I've done with many of my locs lately, I double stranded them together and tie the end with a rubber band. With some of the thicker ones, I tie one rubber band halfway at the middle and then another one at the end. I plan on keeping the rubber bands in for a month, maybe longer for some. The most exciting thing about combing locs for me is that it gives me a sense of hope and promise that that one particular loc will prosper and become thicker and stronger. In a way, it is a sigh of relief for me. No more worry about that single loc(s) that are thinning or getting weak. Each day I'm noticing how much more matted and married many of my locs have been since I first combined them way back in November while I was abroad in England. And I must say, it was so worth it. The downsides to combining are that:

1) How they have more potential to unravel or get a bit wonky. It's frustrating at times. One of the locs I combined tonight is starting to stick up. Looks like I will be wearing a hat for the rest of the week (I would have anyway because this weather ain't cutting it... lol).

2) They seem to take FOREVER to marry and lock up. I may be exaggerating though, because for the most part all of my locs have married just fine, with a couple of them that are still trying to. I guess that's part of the journey right?

I think for certain now though that I am done combining....but we'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment