Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Green Smoothie Challenge!





We all know that a daily intake of leafy green vegetables is good for your health and also for your hair. Lately I've been making myself green smoothies, and it is by far the best smoothie I have ever tasted! Plus it is so darn good for you. Here is my recipe for it:

-baby spinach (at least a cup or two)
- 1/2-1 cup of frozen mango (you can use any other frozen fruit, but yellow fruits like pineapple or mango are the best. I've used blueberry and strawberries, and it just made the smoothie look really gross and dark purple instead of green).
- 1 banana
- apple juice or any type of fruit nectar (technically you are supposed to use water, but I add juice because it makes it sweeter and yummier).

Blend it all together and voila, you have a yummy and nutritious green smoothie! I'm going to challenge myself to drink one glass of green smoothie all summer, once a day. The mixture I make makes 2 servings, even better!

I found a website that spoke of the benefits of green smoothies, and here they are (http://www.smoothie-handbook.com/benefits-of-green-smoothies.html):

1. More Energy

2. Regular Digestion

3. Experience fewer cravings for sugary and salty processed food

4. Receive fewer mood swings

5. Lose weight!

6. Your skin becomes radiant!

7. You may feel an urge to start exercising.

8. Blood sugars may be stabilized

9. Hair and nails grow in faster and stronger

I have been drinking this smoothie for 2 weeks, and I can definitely attest to ALL those benefits. Who wants to join me on the green smoothie challenge? I dare ya! haha.

7 comments:

  1. I like this recipe! Nice and simple! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it too! It is so addictive and so delicious (you can't even taste the spinach!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been drinking green smoothies daily for like a year. Except of course when I am out of town. I LOVE them. Seriously can't go a week without one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same here B, i love them! I can definitely see myself drinking this stuff every day for a year :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmmmm... this smoothie looks good. I love smoothies! in the morning i use like a handful of spinach, a banana and a big gala apple. Taste good and its good for ur body! thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to try this recipe; it looks delicious and the benefits sound amazing. However, I have an issue with the texture of certain smoothies and foods. For example, I can't eat oatmeal or applesauce due to their texture. Is this smoothie "smooth"? Also what type of blender do you have? I think my blender may also be the cause of my smoothies being somewhat chunky.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lakisha, yes this smoothie is smooth, its actually the smoothies smoothie I've ever had, which is why I love it so much. The smooth texture depends on how much liquid you put in it, the banana also helps with making it smoother as well. I blend all the ingredients together for awhile until it is 100% smooth, because i don't like chunky smoothies either. It's surprising how much the greens get blended easily into this smooth liquid-state. You should definitely try it! I'm sure the type of blender you have also determines how smooth your smoothie will be. Admittedly my blender isn't that great (I can't recall the brand at the moment), I have to blend my smoothie for 5 mins for it to get the consistency I want, but I'm sure if you have a really nice blender it wouldn't take as long. Let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete