Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Things To Celebrate and Loc Update (sorta)!





Well y'all, today I'm officially no longer an undergraduate. I will be returning to my university in the fall to continue my Masters in Education, but it is still really weird to say that I'm no longer an undergrad student. Thinking about the future freaks me out, but we all have to get to that point of actually being in the real world and all its challenges. I so can't wait to enter into the teaching field, but the chances of me getting a job in teaching is looking slim now since the governer of NJ has decided to do A LOT of budget cuts (which means, NO HIRING NEW TEACHERS!), which is really just a crying shame, but hopefully in a year after I finish my graduate things might change, and who knows, maybe I will find some luck along the way. For now though, I'm not going to worry about all that. My focus now is on my graduation (next tuesday y'all, the 18th of May!), which I can't wait to celebrate with family and friends. Then after that, the usual summer thang: finding a summer job, doing my usual exercising, hanging out with friends, diving into my literature reading (currently I'm reading James Baldwin's Giovanni's Room,Les Misérables, an Oscar Wilde anthology, and Arthur Rimbaud's Poesies Une Saison En Enfer Illuminations), and one of my favorite hobbies, studying French (which includes grammar study, vocab, watching french tv, reading french novels, chatting with french penpals, and so on...the list goes on!). I used to be so preoccupied with the future but now I'm happy to celebrate a point in my life where I'm just taking each day at a time, instead of looking too far ahead.

Anyways...back to my hair (just wanted to show to y'all that there's more to me than just my locs hehe). I don't normally rinse my hair at night, but for some reason tonight I was really gagging for it to be drenched in water. I tied my silk tie around my hair, and realized how much I miss styling my hair. Mind you, all I've ever done style-wise was loc puffs and a pony, but still, that's something hehe. I think since I've combined, I've been very hesitant to style my hair in fear that a rubberband would pop off or a loc would unravel. Plus, frankly, I'm just not a hair styling person. I have to really be in a girly mood to feel that need to style my hair, I've always been like that. Otherwise, I just let my hair be. When my hair gets longer, I can see myself styling my hair more often. At the moment, I just don't feel like I can do much with the length I've got going, plus I still feel like my locs need to seal and combine more before I really start messing with it. With summer coming around, I think the most I will do is maybe wear head bands, similar to how I tied the silk tie. I hope to get more stylish looking scarfs so I can turn them into headbands for my hair (I can't stand the elastic ones and the solid ones remind me too much of being a little girl lol).

On that note, what styles are you guys planning to rock this summer? And what style is your favorite all year around? I must say that even though I'm not a styling person, I sure do feel inspired when I see so many loc rockers sporting such gorgeous styles!

12 comments:

  1. Congrats Ms. No-Longer-An-Undergrad! *doing the cabbage patch* I'll be a senior in the Fall and lawdhammercy I can't wait to get where you are!

    Have you thought about looking for teaching positions elsewhere after getting your master's in case NJ doesn't work out? What did you major in?

    I'm also an Oscar Wilde fan...have been ever since "The Picture of Dorian Gray," and I read "Les Mis" back in high school...fell in love with the music! I'm also minoring in French...birds of a feather, huh? lol

    Back to the topic at hand...I'd like to finally get into headwraps this summer. Which totally makes no sense because it's hot as the devil now! But I want to have them perfected by Fall so I won't be looking a fool in class lol

    I've also been looking into cute, quick updos lately. They're fast, simple and airy...great for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I majored in English Literature and minored in French. I thought about looking for positions elsewhere as an option, we'll see.

    Yay we have things in common, wow! I adore Oscar and Hugo is amazing, Les Miz is one of my favorite novels of his next to Hunchback of Notre Dame.

    Headwraps are so beautfiul but I always look so silly in them lol. So I only wear them around the house or when I'm going to bed. Updos are stunning too, I've never done that style before but would love to eventually!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on graduating!! Undergrad was like the best thing ever. 3 years later and I still miss it. Good idea to stay in school. Ain't nothin' cool about the real world these days. I'm about to go back myself. Don't spend too much time worrying about the future. Where there is a student loan/grant/scholarship/fellowship, there is a way. LOL!

    As for the styling, girl...yes, I am all over it! The stupid rubber bands have put me in a "I don't want to do crap to my locs" mood but I am slowly coming out of it. I want to teach myself how to do flat twists all over and some up-do styles. I want to perfect the basket weaving and maybe try pipe cleaner curls again. It's too hot in Florida to be walkin' around with locs just hangin' down so I have to figure out some styles that keep the locs out of my face, quickly!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right about that B! Even if I have to work minimum wage for awhile I'll get somewhere someday! hehe. Ooh flat twists...I've seen a lot of youtube videos about flat twisting, but I still don't understand how it is done. I've always loved flat twists, they are so slick and cute! I think pipe cleaners will be the first real style that I want to try out when I feel comfortable enough to style my locs. They look so beautiful and yet they are so simple to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to see your hair in pipe cleaner curls. That is going to be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girl, stop pulling my leg...I'm an English major, too! :-0 Well that's awesome...I hope your career plans work out for you so you can tell me what to expect lol

    And your headwraps couldn't look half as bad as mine. Have you ever considered doing a post about it? Maybe just post a pic or two? Lord knows I need some help!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Mrs. honey, I can't wait to try it one day!

    nappyheadedblackgirl- Hehe wow we have a lot in common wow! I'll definitely keep in touch with ya about the real world hehe. Hm, never thought about doing a post, maybe I will (once I get a nicer looking scarf, I just use the silk ones which are nice for sleeping with but not really great for wearing out in public, at least in my opinion).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yeah and congrats on graduation! I know how you feel about the state of teaching jobs. It's pretty much the same down here too. Stay in school as long as you can cuz the real world is not nice! LOL!!

    My summer style right now is pipe cleaner curls. It's so low maintenance. I also wanna try some of the buns from Bronze Goddess. She's awesome. She also has a recent tutorial on flat twists.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Mrs. Honey! I really like Bronze Goddess's buns and twists as well, I should def. check out her flat twist video!

    ReplyDelete
  10. YAY! congrats on your graduation! and your hair looks super cute btw :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want to do a feature on you! I got your message.I love your hair! Email me at agrier@oberlin.edu if you are still interested, and I will send you the questions.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks everyone i'm feelin' the love :)

    ReplyDelete