Saturday, May 29, 2010

Loc Rockers in New York + What's Going On Now With My Locs





I went to New York yesterday (I will be going back this sunday as well) and my oh my I saw so many loc rockers I felt like I was in loc-paradise! All of them were obviously mature dreads. Dreads worn by older guys, younger guys, young ladies, and even babies, it almost made me self-conscious because I was like "garr why can't my locs be at the mature stage like theirs?!" LOL. But seriously, I saw some really nice dread heads at the train station and in Times Square. I would have taken pictures, but I find that kinda creepy I wouldn't dare take pictures of strangers because that's just rude, and naturally being that it was in the city it's not as if they were standing still anyway (New Yorkers are always on the move!). The one lady that caught my eyes the most had really nice dreads, and she also caught my eye because she had her baby dangled in a kind of cloth baby carrier thing on her back (hard to describe, but it seems to be the trendy thing to do to basically get a huge cloth and wrap the baby against your stomach or your back, like a baby carrier...but it pretty much reminds me of a kangaroo pouch lol). Oh yeah...and there was also this one girl I saw that had dreads all the way down to her butt...and there was this other girl who was a redhead, her dreads were so thick and chunky but it was awesome! I've been to New York for most of my life and for some reason I'm now noticing how many people are wearing locs, not to mention that there are also a lot of people wearing TWA's and some even sporting a bald head. It was beautiful. Hopefully I will see as many loc rockers tomorrow as I did today. Sometimes I just want to come up to some of these people and say "Hey, nice dreads!" but I'm always shy and afraid to come off as corny and just stalker-ish lol.

As for what my dreads are going through now...I'm still freeforming y'all! And truthfully, even though I'm not yet at my 18th-month mark, I really do think that I'm going to stick with this method for good. I don't see myself changing my mind about that anytime soon.

The hair-wrapping method is a success so far, so much so that all that loose-fly away hairs has locked around the loc, and all without twisting it. The hair wrapping method has also consistently maintained a cylindrical look to my locks as well. It's amazing how much my locs have transformed since I've stopped twisting and messing with it. The combined locs are merging SO well, they are becoming so smooth, fuzzy, but smooth, and to my surprise tonight after I got out of the shower, I noticed how the ends are sealing! Finally. There are still a couple of curly q's, but I like them and hoping they will stay. I was trying to take some pictures of some of my locs in detail to showcase the progress but the camera didn't really showcase them well. Basically though, it hardly looks as if I combined my locs at all, they all look like one loc now. I did combine a couple more in the back weeks back, one day I have to do a serious recount because now I hardly know how many locs I have lol (not that it matters, but it is nice to know!). Now that things are becoming a bit easier I'm going with the flow with these locs. Naturally I have my days where I don't like them, but don't we all? Overall though, they are doing good so far!

1 comment: