Sunday, August 22, 2010

To Wash Often Or To Not Wash Often: The Endless Debate

Lately I have been noticing how some lock rockers debate on how often we should really be washing our locks. Some say that we should only wash our hair every 4-6 weeks because we have African American hair, therefore, we shouldn't wash our hair too much because we would strip all our natural oils. Others say wash only before a retwist. Then there are those who say that they wash their hair once a week or every other day because they work out and sweat a lot. What does everyone have in common? That we all have different lifestyles and preferences in regards to how often we like to wash our hair. For some reason though, I've been noticing a lot of lock rockers on discussion boards basically debating about how the people who wash only 4-6 weeks have "nasty" hair, the people who wash only before a retwist are "holding out from washing for the sake of keeping a style," and the ones who wash their hair every day, every other day, or every week are washing "too much" and SHOULD be washing less. This is just getting out of hand. And the most baffling thing of all to me, honestly, is why this should be a debate in the first place. It's about as silly as debating how often people should take a bath or a shower.

This is my opinion: I feel that one should wash their locks whenever they feel the need to. If it is sweaty from a workout, wash it. If it is itchy, wash it. If your hair simply wants to get washed, for goodness sake's, WASH IT. Why is it really a big deal? Why does it have to be a debate? I just don't get it.

The only explanation I can think of is that most of us are conditioned to feel that water of any kind on our hair is just BAD. A lot of people who wear locks may still have that "I can't wet my hair too much" attitude because it is just simply what they are used to. I could be wrong, but I know some lock wearers who still have this thing over not getting their hair wet. Not that it is a bad thing, but why does it have to be so difficult? I know there are a lot of websites that recommend how often we should wash our natural hair, but it's called a RECOMMENDATION for a reason, it's not fact and it doesn't have to pertain to everyone, it is your choice to follow it or not.

Has anybody else ever experienced people debating about how often people should wash their locks? The main thing that irks me about it is not so much that it's a debate in the first place, but how some people seem to think there is a right or wrong answer, and that there's a "right" way and a "wrong" way of doing it. I wash my hair frequently because I love washing my hair, and my hair seems to react very well to it. I keep my hair nicely oiled and moisturized, so my hair doesn't feel "stripped" or "too dry." Others may wash it less often because they choose to, and that's okay too. I'm just sick and tired of some people making such a big fuss over it. I think there are a lot of factors in deciding how often to wash your hair, such as personal preference, lifestyle, work schedule, and so on. Not all of us follow that same preference, lifestyle, and work schedule, hence which is why not all of us follows the same wash day schedule as everyone else.

Sorry if it feels like I'm ranting, but this is a debate that I'm starting to get really tired of. It just seems kind of useless to me. Clean hair is happy hair. It's as simple as that.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post. Yes, I totally agree wash your hair when you feel the need to because everyone is different :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm like you and like to wash as needed. There are SO many circumstances that can prompt folx to wash as often or not as often---scalp issues, climate, color treated hair, texture, time, lifestyle, etc. I wash at least every other week, which to some is too often for locs. But they don't know my scalp issues and how crazy my hair sweats when I work out, or that I like to swim, or that I work out outside with leaves flying in my hair.

    Crazy how we have a debate over everything. Pfft!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ rm- thanks!

    @ B- yeah i know right? I think people just don't look at the whole picture, they only look at one part of it and assume that everyone has to follow a certain guideline or rule to washing hair. I just find it funny because you don't see people debating about how often we should take a bath or a shower, so why should they be debating about how often we wash our hair? lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have a certain schedule for washing my hair. It's just whenever. Whenever I have time, whenever it feels nasty, whenever I wanna change styles. Sometimes that's 2 weeks, sometimes that's 4 weeks. The one thing I will do often is cleanse my scalp with Organic Root Stimulator Herbal Cleanse. That doesn't take much time and I feel refreshed afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since I am freeforming, I don't mind getting my hair wet. I rinse and wet it everyday. I wash my hair every 2 weeks or when my scalp gets that itchy feeling which lets me know it's time to wash.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will wash whenever I feel like washing. And I won't mind what others will say. #justsaying

    ReplyDelete