Monday, August 23, 2010

Essential Oil Spotlight: Sweet Orange!


I think I mentioned awhile ago that I bought a bunch of essential oils not too long ago, and I must say that I'm loving all of them. At the moment, I'm totally in love with the Sweet Orange Essential Oil. I love it because it smells so citrusy, fruity, and just so sweet and fragrant. It has often been described as a "fun" oil, which is also a nice way of describing this yummy oil. You almost want to drink it (DON'T...) lol. What I also like about it is that the oil itself is really, really dark orange. Mixed with other essential oils, all I smell is orange. Believe it or not, even with my Dr. Bronner's shampoo I can still smell the orange over the scent of Dr. Bronner's (to those who have tried Dr. Bronner's or use that as a staple in their hair regime, Dr. Bronner's is strong stuff, so it's pretty amazing that this eo can even overpower that). I love using this oil for my hot olive oil treatment, the smell still stays in my hair even after rinsing out the oil from my locs. Amazing!

So for that, that's the reason why I'm giving Sweet Orange Essential Oil its own spotlight lol. It is also said that it relieves nervous tension and is mentally uplifting, I attest to that, perks me right up!

Who else uses sweet orange essential oil in their loc care regime? Love it? Hate it? Or take it or leave it?

4 comments:

  1. Hey, Nessa!

    I used this exact same oil not too long ago and posted about it here:

    http://nappyheadedblackgirl.blogspot.com/2010/06/essential-oil-orange.html

    The only issue I had was smell...It wasn't strong enough :-(

    What is your routine when using it? I still have almost a brand new bottle so I wouldn't mind trying again.

    Also, my oil is plain orange oil, not sweet orange. Do you think that makes a difference?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nappy!
    I think sweet orange has a stronger smell than the plain orange oil, that could be it. I remember you said that people couldn't notice that you smelled like orange, with the sweet orange people definitely noticed it, and it stayed in my hair for a long while. I blend the orange oil with my applicator of olive oil, I also combine some lemongrass, lavender, and tea tree with this oil too. The orange is so distinctive that I could hardly smell the other essential oils. So far I have used it mostly as a hot olive oil treatment, and also in my daily spritz. I love it!

    This is the brand I purchased:

    http://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Orange-100-Pure-Essential/dp/B002RTIS24/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=beauty&qid=1282679904&sr=8-2

    It's very cheap! It's shelf life is at least up to 6 months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ rm- Yes, it is yummy. Sometimes it reminds me of candy. My hair smells so yummy it's insane! lol.

    ReplyDelete