Thursday, July 29, 2010

The Loc Divide: Freeforming versus Manicured

This is probably one of the most tired topics that you've probably seen a couple of times on natural hair/loc blogs, sites, youtube posts, etc., but I just wanted to throw in my two cents on it.

Frankly, I'm sick of tired of the superiority that some manicured loc rockers have and the "my method is better" attitude of some freeformers. Today I mentioned to a loc'ed friend of mine that I'm freeforming now, and I was just shocked at how he made it sound as if I don't take care of my locks and just let them grow like bongo dreads. And the funny thing is, he said that my locks looked nice before I even told him that I freeform. He intially thought that I still retwisted, but just when i say I freeform he's like "oh..." and starts giving me attitude. What's up with that? So are my locks less beautiful now because I don't retwist them? He said that freeforming is a "wrong way" to take care of dreads. From there I just couldn't take him seriously, honestly.

Then there are the freeformers who say that people who manicure locks have the same attitude as people who wear perm or relaxer, that they are "ashamed of their new growth/nappy roots." Is that really fair? We all still have natural hair on our head, so why does it matter? Sometimes it still even annoys me when there are loc discussion for ONLY freeformers, but that's the same for manicured, sisterlocks, braidlocs, etc. Not that the categories alone bother me, because I think it's just more convenient and overall okay to talk to other lock rockers who have the same kind of locs as you; what bothers me is just how I see a hint of superiority and attitude in the discussion boards.

Now, I know that we all have our lock preferences and I think it is sometimes normal to speak out about how much you prefer one method over another. I have nothing against that, to each their own. What I don't like is how people look down upon others all because they are following a locking method that isn't for them. I don't like how people judge and make assumptions, or give attitude. I think the beauty of locs is that there is more than one way of maintaining them, and in my eyes, both manicured locks and freeformed locs are beautiful to me. What I DON'T like is a dirty, stinky, icky head of locs. As long as all of us take good care of our locks and keep it clean and healthy, what does it matter how others maintain them?

So what do y'all think about this topic, do you think enough is enough?

10 comments:

  1. I agree. Enough is enough. You know I prefer manicured locks for myself but I have nothing against freeformers as long as they're clean. Freeformers can have 'neat' locs too. It's about how you take care of them. My son is freeforming and it totally fits him. Just like freeforming fits you. I just don't think it fits me.
    I also think the misconception is that freeformers don't take care of their hair and that's where the ignorant comments come in. I'm like you. It doesn't matter. It's only hair. And it's all locked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Locwearers should maintain their locs with whichever method works best for them. Your post made me think of another division among the loc'ed community: interlocking vs. palmrolling. It seems like people will always find something to squabble about. Nevertheless, as Mrs. Honey Dip said it's all locked regardless to how you maintain it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Mrs. Honey- You are so right!

    @ LaKisha- Yeah, I remember that division, the interlocking vs. palmroll thing, which to me in a way is just as baffling and pointless to debate about than freeforming versus manicured. Then there is sisterlocks versus traditional locks. Seems like there is always a lock superior-complex going on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. People always have something to say about somethin'. It bugs me that we have to create division in everything. Black women vs white women. Natural vs perms. Light vs. dark. Sisterlocks vs traditional locs. Manicured vs. freeform. It drives me up a freakin' wall. You know that I stand write in the middle of freeforming and manicured. Sometimes I love the look of freshly manicured and styled locs. And other times I prefer my locs to be afro-y, fuzzy and free. I usually toss up the hand to anyone who questions why my locs look the way they do. We define ourselves for ourselves.

    You are so right...it's all loc'd hair so who cares.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, so he really said freeforming is the "wrong way?" *roll eyes*

    I don't really mind people having their own opinions about how to grow/maintain dreads. What kills me is that the most opinionated ones are usually those who don't even have dreads or have had them for like, a week lol

    And as for those who think my freeforms are dirty/nasty/disgusting, it doesn't really bother me. As I've said before, it's mostly just ignorance. People honestly don't know that you can grow dreads without twisting/palm rolling/latching. Freeforms are not particularly popular, so if you only see manicured dreads, that's all you know.

    If I hear an uniformed, totally baseless opinion about dreads -manicured or not- I simply drop a little knowledge and keep it moving. If they're genuinely interested, I recommend a blog/book/website.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @B- You are so right, and I've read and heard my fair share of a whole lot of people debating about those same issues. It's like making a big deal out of something from nothing. It drives me nuts too. To me, variety is the spice of life, how boring would it be if everybody looked liked?

    @ Nappy- Yes, it REALLY irks me when people who don't even have locks suddenly act like they are experts on locking just because they've seen a couple of people wear them. An ex of mine used to lecture me about how I should "keep up" with my locs, and I tore him off because who was he to have that right to tell me how to take care of my hair when he doesn't even have locks and never even had them himself. I think it just annoys me in general when people impolitely tell you how to take care of your hair when 1) you never tell them how their hair should look or 2) they really don't know what they are talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lock is a lock and yours are gorgeous nice and healthy :)

    http://ohmysisterlock.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw why thank you rmcandlelight! And you are right, a lock is a lock is a lock :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I freeform, and while I don't mind either method, it does give me an uncomfortable feeling to see some with the locs maintained so tight it looks like their scalp is being choked. on the flip, it also makes me a bit uncomfortable to see locs that are so "free" that its a bunch of beavertails with a few slim locs interspersed. the extremes...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Zebulion!
    I know what you mean. Don't get me wrong I love many styles that some lock rockers wear, but some of them I literally cringe at just how TIGHT it looks, it gives me a headache just looking at some of those really intricate styles. They look pretty, but it is def. NOT for me...i just don't really like that tight feeling, even ponytails I can't do that often. The beavertails mostly creep me out a little when it is like 2 or 3 large beavertail locs, which is pretty extreme, not saying it is wrong or ugly, it is just a bit too extreme for my taste.

    ReplyDelete